The objective of Consultancy Policy pursued by JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) (hereinafter referred to as JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) is to promote academic, industry, and research interaction and to encourage and facilitate its faculty to provide knowledge inputs sought by industry, government agencies or other research organizations.
The University provides the necessary facilitation conforming to the following tenets concerning consultancy:
1. JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) shall attempt to provide an atmosphere conducive to undertake consultancy by all interested and motivated faculty members in their areas of competence with the broad objective of sharing specialized knowledge and skills by faculty of the University to meet needs of industry, government and other research organizations.
2. JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) shall endeavor to sensitize all concerned with responsibilities as well as benefits of the consultancy program and its outcomes within the overall framework of the University’s mission.
3. This policy shall apply to the confirmed regular employees of JAIN (Deemed-to-be University). This policy on consultancy is subject to review by the University authorities. The University may announce details of implementing procedure on this policy from time to time.
4. The Consultancy Policy will be implemented in complement of and in harmony with R&D Policy of JAIN (Deemed-to-be University).
Framework for undertaking consultancy
1. The consultancy work may be assigned by the University to faculty members in their area of competence based on requests referred to the University through the departments or Research Centers with the concurrence of the President - JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) Trust.
2. The University may approve with the concurrence of the President - JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) Trust, the Consultancy Work proposed by a faculty who may be approached by an Industry / Research Organization / Government Agency or any other.
3. The consultancy work is taken up through suitable agreements entered into by the University or its constituent units such as centers or departments or individual member of faculty with the recommendation of respective Heads and approval of Registrar of the University with the concurrence of the President - JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) Trust.
Agreements for consultancy
1. As a minimum, the agreement will address the scope of consultancy, deliverables, mutual responsibilities, time schedules and financial terms, communications, resolution of disputes, confidentiality, IPR issues and appropriate indemnities. Normally, consultancy assignments would not involve transfer/ licensing of IPR.
2. The University may permit agreements between the consulting member and sponsoring organization, with prior approval of the Registrar of the University for terms of such agreement and subject to resolution of possible conflicts including dislocation to other responsibilities of the consulting member or dislocation to academic programs. The grant of permission by the University to the individual to enter into consultancy agreement will be subject to concerned member’s commitment to comply with the academic, business and ethical standards, priorities and discipline of the University.
Responsibilities and Privileges of JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) Members:
1. JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) members can engage in consultancy as long as the same is within the framework being labeled ethical and it does not involve any unresolved conflict of interest.
2. JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) members can spend any one day of the week for consultancy work without affecting the academic activities and subject to provisions specified herein. In case greater engagement than above is demanded, specific approval may be granted by the University based on merits of each case.
3. JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) members having consultancy project are entirely responsible for the completion of the consulting work. He/she shall ensure that all requirements of sponsoring/ funding agency in respect of reports, financial statements and other deliverables are met in a timely manner.
4. JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) members having consultancy work are fully responsible for the staff working in the project.
5. JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) members having consultancy work / project will ensure payments for all the JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) facilities used in the consultancy work as per norms decided by the University authorities from time to time.
6. Wherever relevant and applicable, JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) members shall provide copies of tax invoices and all other expenses incurred with respect to the research activity shall be maintained and made available as and when required.
Administrative and other support
JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) will facilitate appropriate administrative
and other support as may be needed case by case basis that may include
support for processing of proposals, use of technical facilities, provision or
recruitment of support staff, documentation, financial administration or
even procurement support as may be relevant in each case and for the
scope of consultancy.
The faculty members who take up consultancy assignments shall periodically keep the Registrar of the University informed on the progress and submit report on satisfactory completion of the assignment along with copies of communication to this effect by the sponsoring agency.
Costing Approach and Proceeds
1. For consultancies undertaken under this policy, fees to be recovered will include charges for man-hours utilized, any out of pocket expenses like travel or outsourced services, charges for use of any technical facilities, consumables and institutional overheads of 15%. Necessary service charges too as applicable shall be recovered from the sponsoring organization.
2. The sharing of consultancy proceeds between the University and consulting faculty will depend on the extent of expenditure elements in each case and time of engagement of working hours of the faculty and as mutually agreed.
Conflict of Interest
The JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) policy with regard to conflict of interest rests on the premise of “trust & faith” and integrity of respective members to disclose any information that could lead to conflict thereby ensuring that any conflict of interest could be resolved in an appropriate manner.
No faculty member engaged in consultancy assignment shall indulge in fabrication/falsification of data in either recording or reporting, resort to plagiarism knowingly or intentionally and all other such acts normally not conducive of being considered ethical. JAIN (Deemed-to-be University) shall take suitable action as applicable in such cases.